Sunday, January 1, 2012

Glossary of Sewing Terms

The language of sewing can often be intimidating.  And, sewing liturgical vestments can be even more so.   The specialty fabrics sometimes require special handling or techniques. Look at "pressing" versus "ironing". How are they different? How are they the same? Does it matter? Why?
When learning or improving a skill, learning to speak the language is a great first step. I offer this day-by-day glossary as an easy way to improve your sewing skills in 2012. Just to be impish, the terms will not be introduced in strict alphabetical order. I have randomized the list to keep things interesting.

According to Webster's dictionary a glossary is "a list of difficult, technical, or foreign terms with definitions or translations, as for some particular author, field of knowledge, etc."
Just getting this list together has become a labor of love.  While the terms defined each day will mirror my sewing/art blog at http://www.kathybagioni.com/, an eye toward the special niche of liturgical sewing will be considered.  Special notes will be included whenever necessary.   I've learned a lot and I hope you do, too.

So, meet me back here tomorrow for the first Sewing Word of the Day for 2012.

And, let me know if there is a specific term you would like to discuss. I love learning new things together with you.

No comments:

Post a Comment